Warning signs - Understand the warning signs of mouth cancer. Are you mouth aware?
Understand the warning signs of mouth cancer. Are you mouth aware?
Understand the warning signs of mouth cancer. Are you mouth aware? When it comes to cancer, many of us would like to think we’re rather clued up. It’s common knowledge that we should all be proactive in checking for those out of place lumps but how much do we know about the hidden danger of mouth cancer?
Fresh Smile Dental Clinic Huddersfield, a leading dental practice in West Yorkshire, wants to spread its knowledge around the topic in response to some troubling research. Did you know that over 7,000 people right in here in the UK are diagnosed with it which is an increase of 70% in the last two decades alone? Scary stuff, right? And, despite these worrying statistics many people don’t know anything about it.
So, what are the main causes of mouth cancer?
Our very own Dr Kirrin Punia explains: “Poor lifestyle choices are still by far the biggest causes of mouth cancer. Most cases are linked to tobacco and excessive alcohol consumption while the human papillomavirus (HPV), transmitted through oral sex, and poor diet have also been named as the most likely causes.”
“While smoking is linked to three-quarters of all mouth cancers, those that smoke and drink alcohol to excess increase their risk of mouth cancer by up to 30 times.”
It’s never too late to make a change for the better!
Fresh Smile Clinic believes it is NEVER too late to make a change by amending your lifestyle choices. Quitting smoking can reduce your risk of mouth cancer by more than a third while with alcohol, moderation is so important.
“Practicing safe sex and limiting the number of partners you have may help reduce your chances of contracting HPV, and a diet rich in fruit and vegetables will not only keep your body fit and healthy, but it can also help to reduce the risk of mouth cancer,” adds Kirrin.
What are the warning signs of mouth cancer?
Mouth cancer can appear in different forms and a number of different places in and around the mouth, lips, head and neck. It can appear as a painless mouth ulcer that does not heal normally, a white or red patch in the mouth can also develop into cancer, as can any unusual lumps or swellings.
Some top tips to keep on top of your mouth
- Be proactive rather than reactive!
- You might be accustomed to your mouth ‘sorting itself out’ and don’t pay attention to what is going on, but in order to recognise the signs of the disease earlier, this needs to change.
- Places to check include the floor and roof of the mouth, inside of the cheeks, the tongue, lips, head and neck.
- What to do if you’re worried about the condition of your mouth
- If you notice anything out of the ordinary in these places, it is vital that you book an appointment with a dentist immediately.
- Although many mouth cancers are linked to risk factors, this is not always the case!
- Mouth cancer can affect anybody, so it is important that you are Mouth aware and can recognise the potential symptoms.
- Early diagnosis so important! Did you find this article useful? Why not give it a share on your socials and spread the word about mouth cancer. We’re in this together people!
Get in touch with Fresh Smile Clinic & discover all of our treatments.
Want to know more about us? We want to learn more about you too! Get in touch with our dental team by calling 01484 714 640 or contact us here and we can up your FREE NEW PATIENT CONSULTATION!